Tuesday 5 January 2021

STALWART

This new year 2021 opens at a time when we need to be brave. Let’s face it, we knew something like this would blow back at us, and it would be foolish to react in a negative way. This time we need to stand up to the deprivations – after all, they are minor in comparison to some of the things people across the world live through on a daily basis: extreme weather, famine, war and terminal illness. 



This year, whether or not you are cynical about the pandemic and the way in which the government is reacting to it, perhaps try to put a more positive focus on your life and what you are doing. If you live alone, this is incredibly hard. Can you build some projects into your daily routine? Do you have friends on the end of a telephone line or on the internet to whom you can talk, giving them the benefit of your wisdom and experience? Is it possible to change something which has always annoyed you, such as tidying out a cupboard or moving a piece of furniture? Ask yourself what you can do to improve things. 

Take a look at the pictures on the walls around you – if you have any on display. Do you really like them… still? Or if your walls are bare, could you pin up some cheerful or inspiring pictures or posters, or even a calendar? Once you start thinking about your surroundings in this way, you become more creative and positive. I won’t labour the point: you know what to do! Just don’t let the depressing news drive you to complacency and giving up. 



Last year I spent a lot of time either gardening, doing housework and cooking meals, and sitting at my computer not really doing very much! This year I intend to write as much as possible, turning the opportunity the quietude gives to my advantage. Yes, I will be gardening, although perhaps I won’t sow as many tomato seeds as last year (far too many - although they were all delicious) and I might consider how I could change some of the flower beds. Here are just a few of the tomatoes I harvested. I also grew some cucumbers and - again - four plants is three too many!




January is throwing some cold and frosty weather at us, and here in this corner of Devon we had a fair amount of snow. I hope I’ve done everything I can to save my tender plants, but yesterday I noticed some pelargoniums which I had completely forgotten about. Instead of having been dug up and moved into the greenhouse they stood forlornly in one of the flower beds, brown and dead from the frosty cold nights. I think (hope) I took some cuttings last Autumn, otherwise I have lost them completely. 

But the joy of seeing some of the other plants still standing, stalwart against the freezing winds, far outweighs the sadness of those lost. The sedums have weathered the snow with beautiful mounds of icy snowflakes gathering on their crowns. These stems will of course be cut down in the spring, ready for the new growth. 

Below: a blackbird forages and daffodils are beginning to show!

I took a short, cold walk this afternoon with my new camera to try and capture some scenes for this blog. The sun was shining, turning the starkest bare branches into beautiful shapes, and there were cows grazing in the field beyond our house. My fingers turned to ice as I snapped away, but I am pleased with the results.
 

Finally, something which caught my eye on a social media page - which I hope will make you smile. Many of us remember 'Winnie-the-Pooh' by A.A. Milne from our younger days in the original book format. I had forgotten its delights until I found this little gem from Christopher Robin Milne, the author's son. I don't know if the quote comes from the book or whether he has written it himself, but it means something to all of us at the present time. Look after yourselves, and stay safe.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you'll be writing for most of this year Prue. Tobias and I have formed a strong virtual friendship and, although the conversation is mostly one sided, I can hardly wait for our "real" friendship to be renewed in the fictional place of your imagination. Twenty twenty two could turn out to be a good year yet!
    Your tomatoes are hugely impressive by the way. I actually have a cooking hint for you - PIZZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hugo, and all credit to you for nudging me back to writing! I mulled over the idea of Tobias having a blog, but there would be so few words... better that you continue your virtual friendship for now.
      Your comment on my tomatoes is appreciated. Believe me, I've cooked just about every recipe possible with them, and I have more than I really want in the freezer... :)

      Delete
  2. Nice work Prue. Here in Melbourne we endured one stretch of hard lockdown that went on for 108 days. We can sympathise with your plight. There is light at the end of the tunnel and enduring it in the beautiful location that is Devon will not hurt too much I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Greg, and your kind words are reassuring at this time. You are quite right, and I am so lucky to be living here in such a beautiful place.

      Delete
  3. Hello Prue, Good to read your positive slant on the virus, we certainly mustn't let it get the better of us. Like you I am so appreciative of living in a lovely county.
    All good wishes for a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mike, and I quite agree! Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos Prue and I agree on what you say about the pandemic, staying positive is very important, keeping ourselves busy also helps :) Your tomatoes look great and it's such a reward seeing them on your plate after having worked hard enough for months!
    Keep well dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eleftheria! The tomatoes are also very tasty, and I've frozen quite a number. Keep safe and well x

      Delete