Saturday 8 May 2021

ICE IN SPRING

I promised photos of blossom. Well, in my garden the Cherry blossom has been and gone, but here are a couple of the many photos I took for you back in March.

  



Other blossom appeared in April: the Pear tree made a lovely showing, but one of the late frosts which have plagued us destroyed all hope of any fruit. 


The larger of our two Apple trees is blooming now for the first time, and seems to be holding its own despite the cold. 


One other major event has taken place in the garden: at last the new shed has arrived and been built. After a nine month wait, you can imagine our excitement (well, some of us more than others), and with it came the opportunity to improve the path which runs along the side of the greenhouse to said shed. The work was carried out with skill and cheerfulness by a local firm, and has made a massive improvement to the shed/greenhouse area. A bonus is another, albeit small area where we can sit out – when the sun shines!



I was well into writing the third book in the ‘Losing Time’ series, until my vaccinations caused my inspiration to dry up. This has been incredibly frustrating. Only now am I beginning to put together the next stage of the plot in my mind, and I hope soon to be able to make some sense of the ideas and get them recorded. I have introduced some interesting new characters, as well as revealing the not-so-enchanting side of someone who we all thought was 'on our side' in the previous book. It all makes for enjoyable and sometimes challenging writing!

The unseasonal weather has delayed many things in the garden: plants and trees are well behind, as is progress in the greenhouse. However there have been some little moments of joy, and I leave you with these and the hope that all is going well with you despite the challenges which have been heaped upon us recently. We are a tough species, and working our way through the lockdown loneliness and depressing Winter/Spring has not been easy. Look after yourselves!






 

7 comments:

  1. Nice flowers and blossoms Prue! And a new shed - Oooo!
    However, I cannot lie, my attention was totally taken with Book number three. "the not-so-enchanting side of someone who we all thought was 'on our side' has got me a bit worried. I do, though, understand your need to challenge your readers and to challenge yourself, so go for it!
    Oh, and by the way, I completely understand your inspiration drying up. Happens to me all the time. Keep growing and keep writing is the only advice I can offer.
    Big Hugz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Hugo, much appreciated as ever. And don't worry, there's a cunning plan... of course!
      Sage advice, I'll keep trying... 😊

      Delete
  2. These photographs are so cheering, especially at such a difficult time for so many of us. I'm sorry you lost the pears but the blossoms are beautiful. And it looks like you have a lovely new seating area there, I hope your weather gives you plenty of opportunity to enjoy it. I'm also so glad to hear you got back your inspiration as we will will benefit from it in due course... What an intriguing going you have dropped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellie, and welcome back! I'm so pleased you found the photos cheering, because that is always my aim.
      Yes, I have dropped a hint, but everyone will have to wait and see... 😊

      Delete
  3. That should have been 'we will all benefit'and a 'hint' dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful blossoms, especially the cherry - and lucky you with a new shed! Gardens are so uplifting as the seasons come and go. All good wishes ~ Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mike, and I think our gardens have saved many of us from despair. Good wishes back to you and yours too. Prue

      Delete