Saturday 19 June 2021

BALANCE

Almost midsummer, and the roses which have been late this year are finally cheering up and performing. I found a couple of almost blown blooms whose stems had drooped to the ground under their weight, so into a vase on the kitchen windowsill they went, and here they are for your enjoyment.


I received my second vaccination on 23rd April, but only now am I beginning to feel that the balance in my body is restored. The first vaccination, you may remember, knocked me for six, and just as I was beginning to feel more myself – wham, the second one threw me out of kilter again. Of course this all may be a figment of my over-active imagination, but I don’t believe so. The situation now seems to be ‘damned if you do and damned if you don’t’ – so like so many of my generation I’ve chosen to be damned anyway and on we go.


The third book progresses slowly. It’s complex, exciting and great fun to write. The plot is unravelling in my head and taking time to reach the point when I actually commit it to written words. This too needs balance, and careful planning, but I think I’m getting there. For those of my readers who love the character Tobias, I can assure you he is playing quite a major role once again, alongside some new people and other old friends. Watch this space!



What are you reading? I've worked my way through some exceptional thrillers, and must mention a couple. Rory Clements has written a series of historical novels set in the late Elizabethan era, all of which I enjoyed and recommend. However he has now turned his hand to a different era: the nineteen thirties and forties, with an American Cambridge spy, Tom Wilde as his lead character. These books are incredibly exciting and the latest: 'A Prince and a Spy' is enthralling. I recommend all of them, but this in particular. Secondly, I may have mentioned M W Craven before, and his latest - the fourth in his 'Washington Poe' series is another unputdownable crime thriller. Again, highly recommended. I'm finding it hard to adapt to my next read now, but not every book needs to be exciting... or does it?



Slightly more relaxed Covid rules have meant that one or two people have been able to come and see the garden. I am always delighted when this happens in normal times, but now it's even more of a pleasure. Last weekend our son brought his partner over - we hadn't seen her since Christmas - on a beautiful day, and created memories to treasure.


Patience Strong was a 20th Century poet famed for her short, happy little pieces, often sentimental. My mother had a piece of embroidery which featured this little poem, and whilst it may seem a little old-fashioned I think it touches the heart of everyone who loves gardens.

'In a garden green and gay
All my troubles fade away
Sweet contentment here I find
Joy of heart and peace of mind.'

I leave you with the thought that balance and harmony are essential to our wellbeing, and whilst it isn't always possible to maintain either physical or mental equilibrium, it is important to recognise their absence. Sometimes this in itself can help recovery. For now, keep well and look after yourselves. I must go and water the tomato plants!







6 comments:

  1. Your garden looks gorgeous and you have given me the idea to cut the peonies that have fallen over and bring them indoors rather than leaving them on the ground. I'm so glad you have had a chance to welcome your family and friends to your garden.
    I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered as badly with your second shot. We were not allowed (I'm pleased to say) to have the AZ vaccine and now I hear that they are even discouraging those who had it for their first from taking it for the second (not even being offered it) bt recommending one of the MRNA ones. Such times we live in. We had Pfizer for first and will go for it or Moderna for the second, those being the choices. No bad reaction to the first, just a sore arm. We will see for the second.
    I have looked in our library for books by Rory Clemens, but as is often the case, I find no books by English authors offered. Not by him at any rate.
    I read and recommend "The Radium Girls" by Kate Moore, as well as "If You Tell" by Greg Olsen.
    I got caught up reading (again) Rosamund Pilcher's "Coming Home" finding it annoyingly juvenile at first and then being unable to stop listening.
    Keep well Prue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ellie, for your most interesting comments. I'm glad you will be cutting your peonies, and I hope you'll take some photos.
      How interesting to hear about the AZ vaccine boycott in Canada - I had no idea! I could add more about the topic in general, but this is not the place.
      Sad that you cannot get the books I recommended. However I will certainly look out for your suggestions. As for Rosamund Pilcher, my mother loved this author and I inherited many of her books - most of which I too have greatly enjoyed. The son, Robin Pilcher, now writes in similar vein - but not as well, in my opinion! xx

      Delete
  2. Great post Prue.
    I loved the last but one picture of the purple flowers. Don't ask me what they are because I've got no idea. Beauty doesn't always need a factual description after all.
    You ask what we are reading at the moment. I'm not a big fan of thrillers but I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently. Cider With Rosie. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, Atonement etc.
    I don't really know why, they were in my lockdown re-read list, but I've been enjoying them so much. I suspect it's a bit of a reaction to the current pandemic restrictions and a yearning for the simpler days we lived in. I miss my life when I was in my twenties, but I suspect that is the case for anyone in their late fifties.
    Writing is a bugger though isn't it? I've got all the ideas in my head for the next few episodes of TROA but just can't seem to write (type) them down. Still, bit of time left before next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Hugo. If I tell you that the spiky flowers are Aliums and the others 'real' geraniums 'Orion' (wonderful name) I wonder if you will remember?
      Your reading choices are interesting, and I guess many of us have revisited books we have loved in the past during the pandemic. I now have a list as long as your arm of 'comfort' books, with Dick Francis always heading it. Lately I'm back into thrillers though, as you see.
      Yes, writing is hard, but so very rewarding, and I love reading TROA, you are doing a fine job. I completely identify with the difficulty of getting the ideas from head to paper - that's exactly it! You'll do it though - as will I, eventually... x

      Delete
  3. The garden certainly looks wonderful. The roses are taking over the trellis beautifully. The picture at the start I thought was of peonies they were so full!

    We've had our two shots as well (Pfizer), no real reactions - but I am blaming any slight ill on the vaccine anyway��

    For whatever reason I haven't read a book since the start of the pandemic, which doesn't make sense as in many ways there is more time now to read. I used to read several books a month. I looked to see if our library had any M.W. Craven books - no luck. Only a US author Michael Craven. They do have one Rory Clements book.

    Our Covid rules are relaxing a bit as well and families can start getting together again - outside.

    Hope you shake off the last vestiges of the vaccine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, thank you so much for reading the blog and for your comments. Yes, those roses are very full. They are 'Princess Alexandra of Kent' and the smell wonderful too.
    I wish now that I could have had the Pfizer vaccine, but no choice was offered. And I'm pretty much the same, blaming everything on it!
    As I said to Ellie, I'm sorry you can't get hold of my book recommendations. Next time I'll try for some more widely available authors... if they are recommendable, that is. Take care.

    ReplyDelete