Wednesday 6 November 2019

STAMMERING

Listening to the author David Mitchell on the radio this morning, I pricked up my ears when he began to describe his ‘speech defect’. I would never have known that this articulate man, from whom words poured so easily, has a stammer. He described some of the problems he suffered at school: dreading being asked a question in class, or to read aloud. Even the social situation of being asked whether he would like tea or coffee became a challenge, because coffee was his preference, but tea was easier to say without stammering.

At school the smallest difference becomes a focal point for other children to seize upon. Not only did I have red hair and an unusual name, but I wore glasses from the age of five. Easily identified, not only was I the butt of jokes, but was forever being singled out by teachers. I was lucky, because I could answer their questions easily, and I didn’t mind reading aloud. Heaven help me though, if I was caught doing something wrong. Sometimes I felt guilty, even when I wasn’t!

The character Daniel Kettlewell stepped into my latest book ‘Stopping Time’ quite unexpectedly. I’ve worked with stammerers in the past, and the memory of one particular man – who had risen to a senior position despite a very bad stammer indeed - gave me the confidence to include such a person in the book. Not that I had much choice - my characters tend to insist on their inclusion, haunting my thoughts until I begin to define them.

Daniel is definitely one of my favourite characters. He doesn’t play a leading role, but he’s a solid, reliable young man, whose stammer has given him patience and understanding.

‘Helen recognised him at once as Daniel, another accountant she’d come across when attending work-related seminars. He spoke with a bad stammer, but they sometimes conversed over coffee, as fellow social misfits.’

It was important too for Daniel’s interaction with other characters to be as true to life as possible.

‘Julia considered how difficult it might be for him to describe what had occurred. ‘No,’ she corrected herself, feeling a little guilty at the thought, ‘it’s no problem for him - just so painful to listen to.’ '

Stammering is one of those afflictions which tend to be most noticeable - and most keenly felt - in childhood. There are methods of relaxing to ease the frequency of the stammer, and I believe singing can be of benefit. If you are affected by a speech defect, or know someone who is struggling, there is a good deal of useful information on the internet as well as this link to an article by David Mitchell, to whom I referred at the beginning of my blog: https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/david-mitchell-stammering-kings-speech

***


Here we are in November already, with a waterlogged lawn that needs a final mow, the central heating turned on and an election looming. Gloomy stuff indeed, but on the odd sunny day the air is fresh and the smell of wood smoke nostalgic. And I almost forgot to mention the trees... not quite as good as last year, so my photo is of a glorious scene along the road into Okehampton a year ago.

7 comments:

  1. How extraordinary. I too had a stammer at primary school for a short time. It always seemed to involve words beginning with the letter T. The default hot drink that my Ma offered to me was always Horlicks or "milky coffee", never tea. Then, after passing the eleven plus and gaining a place at the local grammar school, I decided I'd better learn the periodic table of elements and there were so many elements that began with the letter T that I'd practise out loud like Tellurium, Thorium, Technetium, Tungsten and Tantalum that by the time I arrived at Grammar School, mt stammer had gone.
    Just as well actually as I'd never spoken French in my life and suddenly being asked to say tu, toi, toujours and terrible would have been a red rag to a bully in an all boys school.
    Meanwhile, the gloom continues some two hundred miles to the north east of you Prue, it was a cold dank day here in Leicestershire and the rotting brown leaves on the ground only add to the inglorious scene here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this, Hugo, and thank you for such an interesting and frank response. Your experiences add so much to what I was attempting to say!
      I hope you might be seeing a glimpse of the sunshine which has unexpectedly appeared here this morning? Warmest wishes sent your way x

      Delete
    2. Thank you Prue. Sadly, the clouds denied the Sun access to the East Midlands today but did, instead, provide large quantities of rain. They both give and take away do rain clouds!
      I sort of hope that it stays dry for Joe's funeral tomorrow but, on the other hand, perhaps a series of heavy showers followed by brilliant sunshine might be more appropriate and reflect his life.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post Prue, it made for some pondering on the stupidity and shallowness of many humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al, thank you so much for reading it, and for your contribution which sums up so well the darker message behind my own words. :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting Read Prue. Stammering is referred to as stuttering here in Oz, or at least as far as I know. We have a friend who has the speech impairment but has overcome it with therapy etc. I thought the movie, 'Kings speech', was a brilliant take on the trails and tribulations one has to overcome with such an affliction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julianne. We also use the word 'stuttering', but more in the context of a one-off rather than an affliction. I'm so glad your friend has managed to overcome the impairment. And I agree with you about the film, which really brought the subject to light - so often these things go unnoticed for far too long. :)

      Delete