Monday 9 November 2020

NOWHERE


 ‘Um,’ typed my friend H as we held the usual online conversation a couple of weeks ago, and in answer to my inane query as to how he was doing. ‘Still trying to understand what Tier two actually means. I try to carry on as usual with masked precautions and social distancing etc. But I have to look up what the new Tier two restrictions are, as they are not delivered by a dalek or even a Morris van with a loudspeaker on the roof like they would have been forty years ago. To be honest, it, the whole Covid-19 situation, makes me pine for the 1970's.’ 

I am old enough identify with his final remark, and to miss the simplicity and straightforwardness of life then, not to mention the genuine freedom we experienced, and which younger generations will never know. 


View from The Monument 1979

It doesn’t do to dwell on the past, though. Recently I watched a broadcast of the 1977 play ‘Abigail’s Party’ which, unusually, I had never seen before. It felt oddly familiar to see the fashions, the hairstyles and above all the drearily ‘modern’ interiors which we all thought so new and ground-breaking. My memory recognised the smoke-laden atmosphere, which had to be endured both at work and in pubs, buses and trains and in homes. Would I go back? Well, I’d love to visit London again, where I worked for ten years. I would happily take the tube (in a non-smoking carriage) out to Buckinghamshire where I was born and brought up, and glimpse my parents’ house.

My parents' lovely house in Bucks


Most of all I would love to sit down with long-dead members of my family and just talk to them. But this is daydreaming, and so it should remain.

To return to our conversation, H’s struggle to find a definition of ‘Tier Two’ was wiped out overnight, and all of us are once again in lockdown for the next few weeks. It’s getting beyond tedious, and it feels to me as though we have marked time for almost the whole of 2020. We struggle to ‘move on’, getting nowhere.

So how do we lift the gloom, other than rummaging through old photos – which is what I confess to have been doing when the November rain prevents me from tidying up the garden. It’s a huge question and I’m not entirely sure I can answer it in a few words. Perhaps we are all muddling along in the same distracted fashion, sick of the media broadcasting what they want us to hear and longing for someone grown-up enough to give us some hope. Whatever happened to those sensible, parent-like figures who responded to trouble with wise words and sound advice? Surely they haven’t, as a species, died out? Or have we stopped listening to their quiet, patient voices?

* * *

Last time I wrote we had just finished dismantling the garden shed, and were preparing for a new one. Well, we are still waiting for it! The 'nationwide shortage of sheds' to which I referred continues to cause despair and heartache for the smaller businesses who sell them. We will wait until the Spring, as it would be stupid not to. But for now, our garage and greenhouse - and various other corners of our home, house the contents of the old shed, and we work around them.


There is still a sea of colours in our November garden. Above you will note how the Sedums have darkened, lending a final maroon glow before they fade to brown and die. These plants are so worthwhile growing; as well as lending solid colour to their surroundings they attract so many bees and other insects, although I saw a marked reduction this year which is sad. 


In the front garden the Hydrangea with its odd double-season continues to show off its new blooms, while the older ones have darkened like the Sedums. The splashes of blue are most uplifting on a rainy day.

Finally, speaking of the 1970s and simply to amuse you (and Heaven knows, we need more laughter at the moment), I'm posting a photo of a production by the Playgoers Amateur Dramatic Association of 'Hay Fever' dated 1978, in which yours truly played Sorel Bliss (the one in pale green pyjamas!). Happy days!!

Amersham Playgoers' 'Hay Fever' 1978




7 comments:

  1. I feel this keenly, Prue. I also worked in London for a time and lived in Hertfordshire also (Boxmoor). We do have a gentle parent like figure or two in this province who patiently help us all get over this. Yesterday they expressed their concern and reminded us of our responsibilities to each other... So we all pulled our socks up (mine had not come adrift) and hopefully the few cases we have in one or two clusters will all improve as we hunker down a bit more again.
    Please, next time you are chatting with H, say hello from me. I miss our chats but have no contact with him.
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for both your posts, Ellie. I'm so glad you enjoyed both the content and the photos; makes it all worthwhile! I've messaged you...
      P.

      Delete
  2. Didn't think my comment would publish... but it did. Your photo of the play is marvellous, as are all the others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, you are a remarkable woman Prue. Only a remarkable woman can switch from pale green to understated purple in a single lifetime. Despite the onset of a global pandemic, you have persevered with friendship, sustained the long links that mean more than mere comments on a post. Friendship is, in many ways, the very definition of humanity, and I am both proud and humbled to count you amongst my friends.
    I've counted the books I can read for the duration of lockdown 2.0. It's only about three per week but I've already gone through several and have listed several for re-reading: Losing Time and Stopping Time.
    Don't get too cocky though, they're still several more to get through....I'm currently about a third of the way through "The Age Of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker. It's from 2012 but it's quite engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugo... thank you! I'm quite bowled over by your kind words. Friendship is more important in troubled times than ever, and I draw more comfort than you can know from my online friends.
      I'm delighted to hear that my books are on your reading list for a re-read! That's a first for this author, lol. But I took a look at the book you recommended, and I've added it to my own list as it sounds good, and a friend's recommendation is always worth heeding.
      Pale green to understated purple indeed!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting post, good to look back occasionally. Brought back some memories for me, when you mentioned Buckinghamshire. I'd been looking though some old photos and there was one of me leaning against the Buckinghamshire road sign. At the time I lived in Middlesex and was on a hike with a friend. I suppose I was about 16 or 17 at the time. Happy, simple times.

    Several of our plants are lingering on and, like you, we have hydrangeas about to bloom.

    I'd better not ramble on. All good wishes, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete