Wednesday 13 February 2019

RADIANT

There are days when not even the brightest of February sunlight or the prettiest of daffodils can lift the spirits. Distraction can be one solution to the brain’s chemical whims, and I experienced just such an event at the hairdresser’s yesterday.

Two or three of us sat on comfortable black chairs in front of mirrors, idly watching our hair being teased into submission by talented, long-suffering young women. Mine was being cut, and I was trying to avoid my fuzzy, unflattering reflection whilst listening to Linda chattering, when the door opened and in swept an angel.

She isn’t an angel, of course, but in that moment she might have been. Kerry, on her day off, couldn’t wait to share with her place of work the wonderful news of her engagement and how it came about over the weekend. As she stood with her back to the shop window, her face and hair – indeed everything about her – glowed with happiness. Who could not have responded to that widest of smiles, the flashing of little diamonds on her outstretched finger and the radiance of her mood? It was contagious. All of us shared the grins and the laughter which ensued.

Today, as I sort through photos of roses, I’m reminded of the joy of sensory things. This rose, 'Spirit of Freedom' is one I grew in my old garden in Mid-Devon. The fragrance was beautifully sweet and the shape of the flowers with their tightly-packed petals is - for a day or so - perfect.

A slightly paler pink is tinting our view of the garden this week as the ornamental Japanese Cherry gently glides into flower. It's been hinting at doing so for a couple of weeks, but today the show begins and I must share a couple of photos. I couldn't resist adding some 'blurring' to one photo, to highlight my own experience of it this year through these muddled eyes. In many ways the sight is quite interesting, although I hope by next year to have regained focus to both eyes... We'll see (quite literally... sorry!).



If you are afflicted by depression or simply feeling a little low, I recommend calling in at your local hairdresser's - you'll always find something to smile about.

I wish you a happy day, wherever you are, and especially all at Rachel's of Tavistock! (Names of the girls have been changed...)

6 comments:

  1. Well I was planning to write a witty and illuminating comment to this post Prue, but having listened to tonight's Archers, I find myself weeping uncontrollably and unable to type.
    Perhaps a visit to a barber may help - I'm long overdue one - but my regular barber only ever wants to talk about football and is long past engagement days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite shocked by the emotion in The Archers this evening, Hugo. The actress playing Elizabeth was superb.
      Somehow I don't think a mere visit to the hairdresser would be enough to alleviate the character's distress though!
      Hugo your barber sounds in need of some livening up lol:)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. As my wife always cuts my hair - no, she's not a hairdresser, I'm just a cheapskate - I guess I rely on her to keep me smiling. I think though, that for me, walking along a sea shore or being with nature always lifts my spirits.
    And, also, as your post indicates all we need is love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mike. Walking along the seashore must, I think, be one of the best ways of lifting the spirits, and can work no matter what the weather,you are quite right!

      Delete
  3. After some extensive research, I think I might have restored mt profile picture that was cruelly taken away by forces unknown. The only way I can test it though is by posting a comment. I hope you don't mind my using you as a test bed Prue - and on St. Valentines Day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugo it's good to see your profile picture again! Test success :))

      Delete